I didn’t make down to the National Mall for the fireworks last night. I opted to stay far far away from the crowds of people down there. Instead my friends and I went to a few house parties in Adams Morgan and we watched the fireworks from the rooftop of the Adams Morgan strip. I think we were on top of the block from Tom Tom to around Bossa- it was PIMP- just as cool as the penthouse in Rosslyn last year! I love the ability to walk along connected rooftops!
As we made our way back to my house for some post fireworks festivities, we ran into my neighbor who had just returned from the National Mall. We also had run into her earlier in the day as we were heading to the Nats game! She showed me the flag (above) that she had been given while on the mall for the festivities. She also pointed out that little black line in the bottom left corner of the flag. To my astonishment, this flag, which was given out to probably over 100,000+ spectators, was blacked out because it said “Made In China.”
This is piss poor judgment on behalf of those who organized the celebration! I mean COME ON! You’d think they’d have the smarts to hand out flags made in America on the 4th of July, right? Worse is that there had to be someone who went through all of flags and redacted the flags before they were handed out.
If you add what happened at RFK Stadium earlier in the day, I will remember this 4th of July as the least patriotic American anniversary I’ve ever experienced. I had a fun time at least :)
Related Censorship Entries:
- Mentioned Today On The Huffington Post Concerning Facebook's Censorship of Advertisements Related To Cannabis
- Washington Monument Quilt #2
- Dear WashingtonPost.com: Either You Are Censoring Bloggers Or Your 3rd Party Widget Isn't Working Properly
- Where did Google's video rankings go?
- Google FINALLY updates the imagery of Washington, DC and now you can kinda see the message on my rooftop
- An Odd DC Indymedia Edit
- Google Street View of Washington, DC suffers from out-dated imagery
- View of a House Party Censored By Colored Dots
- Interviews with Alex Jones at the DNC in Denver and other videos
- One year later and Google Maps has still not updated DC
- First Amendment Violation in Lafayette Park yesterday; ACLU contacted
- Experimenting with Facebook's advertisement system [part 4 - Fvck Censorship]
- What the Artomatic 2008 venue looked like in March of 2005
- Geovisual QR Code
- The first Artomatic prints have arrived
- White House Peace
- Indirectly referenced in the Sydney Morning News?
- MyGoogleMaps : Google's Censorship Perimeter
- 3D Buildings at the expense of newer imagery?
- Google's View of D.C. Melds New and Sharp, Old and Fuzzy - Washington Post
- A new change in Washington, DC's imagery on Google's servers
- Comparative Meta-Data of the USGS Orthoimagery of Washington, DC - 2002 / 2005
- The White House is Off-Limits to the Public: An Exploration of Censorship's Perimeter
- The U.S. Capitol is Off-Limits to the Public: An Exploration of Censorship's Perimeter
- Censored today in theMail...
- Baghdad Imagery change in Google Earth
- I'm off google
- Redacted Flag
- Censorship on the 4th of July
- U.S. Naval Observatory Lenz #2
- U.S. Naval Observatory Lenz
- The Inaugural Map & January 6th
Related Flag Entries:
- The Localized Nationalism of Sports Jerseys
- Photographs of the Taxpayers March on Washington [PART TWO]
- Photographs of the Taxpayers March on Washington [PART ONE]
- Timelapse YouTube Video of the 4th of July Fireworks in Washington, DC
- December 21st, 2012, the 13th Baktun, and the flag of the District of Columbia
- The American Flag in a 51 Star Configuration with One Star Removed
- The microphone flag I designed makes an appearance
- Democratic National Convention 2008 - Photos from Day Three
- Roll Call's Photo of the Week features the DC Colonist
- Voting Rights March Recap
- The New DC Flag...if HR 328 passes...
- ABC 7 Covers the D.C. Colonist...
- Taxation Without Representation Google Map
- Redacted Flag
- Washington Post: Red, White and Golden Arches: The Star-Spangled Banner Ad