Unlike the previous antique map mash-ups, the map above was created after I started working on an interactive Google Mapplet. The idea behind it was to show a “then & now” perspective on mass transit in Washington, DC. The Wikipedia article on streetcars in Washington, DC explains quite well the long history of DC’s mass transit system. The second reason this map was created was to help solicit support for the construction of new street car lines. This map shows the street railway system in it’s infancy, less than 20 years old, and not at the height of DC’s streetcar railway system in 1963 (the year it was literally scrapped). If I could wave a magic wand and have the DC Department of Transportation begin building a new line, I’d start with where the Columbia Line was. The gentrifying H Street Corridor could use a street car line from Union Station to Bladensburg Road, (which is about half the length of the original Columbia Railroad Company line) to help spur development along the corridor.
Below is the first draft of the My Google Map (the difference between Mapplet & My Google Map is that Mapplets are standarized “Google Gadgets” made for public dissemination while My Google Maps mainly designed for personal use). Up next I plan on publicly releasing this map as a Google Mapplet that allows people to turn off and on the street railway layer.
The map is not 100% perfectly drawn. There are a few places that it looks a bit off. If you would like to make modifications to the source KML you can download the souce file here.
From the Library of Congress Geography & Mapping Division:
City of Washington, statistical maps / compiled by Lieut. F.V. Greene, assistant to the Engineer Commissioner, July 1st 1880 ; compiled by Lieut. F.V. Greene, U.S. Eng’rs … to accompany the annual report of the Commissioners of the District of Columbia for the year ending June 30th 1880 ; Wm. T.O. Bruff, del., Eng’r Dept., D.C.
Greene, F. V. 1850-1921. (Francis Vinton),
[Washington, D.C.] : The Commissioners, 
Covers city within the old limits (Florida Av. etc.) and Georgetown.
Relief shown by contours and gradient tints on map 2.
Title from accompanying title sheet.
Common title on map sheets at upper right: City of Washington.
Titles of contents from accompanying title sheet. Individual titles on the map sheets differ from those on the title sheet (are longer).
Some maps include statistical table.
No. 1. Valuation of property — No. 2. Established grades — No. 3. Pavements — No. 4. Shade trees — No. 5. Gas lamps — No. 6. Water mains — No. 7. Sewers — No. 8. Public schools — No. 9. Police and fire stations — No. 10. Railroads — No. 11. Telegraphs — No. 12. Street sweeping.
LC sheets mounted on cloth backing. Title sheet brittle and torn.
Scale [ca. 1:12,000].
Related Antique Map Mash-ups:
- President Andrew Johnson’s Veto Message to Congress Concerning A Bill to Regulate the Elective Franchise in the District of Columbia - January 5, 1867
- WAR SIGNS IN THE STARS : Our Country's Horoscope Says There Will Be Peace - The Washington Times, April 10, 1898
- Emancipation Day by Mrs. Mary E. Kail
- SENATE TIE ON PROHIBITION - The New York Times, December 20, 1916
- S280 - A Bill To Repeal an Act Entitled ''An Act to Retrocede the County of Alexandria, in the District of Columbia, to the State of Virginia" - United States Senate, April 23, 1866
- How the Scythians Used Hemp - Paragraphs 73-75 from Book 4 of The Histories of Herodotus [circa 440 BC]
- TO MAKE A STATE OF DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA - The New York Times, December 14, 1902
- The Strange Narcotics Used in Asia and South America - The New York Sun, February 8th, 1880
- Advertisement for the Buffalo Bill's Wild West at Athletic Park in Washington, DC - National Republican, June 20th, 1885
- Advertisement for Adam Forepaugh's Circus in Athletic Park, Washington, DC - The National Republican, April 11, 1885
- Advertisement for the Barnum and London Circus in Athletic Park, Washington, DC - The National Republican, May 3rd, 1884
- The Full Text Of An Act for the Release of certain Persons held to Service or Labor in the District of Columbia
- The Sons of Martha by Rudyard Kipling - New York Tribune, April 28, 1907
- The Noyes Armillary Sphere Described In The Historic American Buildngs Survey #532
- Armillary Sphere Donated to 'Federal City' by Author; Ancient Astronomical Device Links Early Chinese to Modern Americans - The Washington Post, November 10, 1936
- VOTE PLEA TO CONGRESS - Americanize 400,000, Urges D.C. Joint Citizens' Committee - The Washington Post, February 13, 1918
- Chronicling One Century Ago - A Listing Of All The Daily American Newspapers Published In 1910 In The Chronicling America Collection
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Washington Times from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Washington Herald from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the San Francisco Call from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Palestine Daily Herald from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Padukah Evening Sun from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Ogden Standard from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the New York Tribune from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the New York Sun from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Los Angeles Herald from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Deseret Evening News from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- The 1910 Publication Calendar of the Alexandria Gazette from the Chronicling America Newspaper Collection [100 Year Old News]
- ALEXANDRIA AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA - The Alexandria Gazette, June 9, 1909
- STILL AFTER ALEXANDRIA - The Alexandria Gazette, June 5th, 1909
- Justice Stafford Eloquent on Washington: Past, Present, and Future - The Washington Herald, May 9th, 1909
- What the Stars Tell of The Times - The Washington Times, February 9, 1896
- 2010 Cartographic Calendar [Color Edition]
- 2010 Cartographic Calendar [Black & White Edition]
- A Projected Relief Park Map of the United States - The Washington Times, March 28, 1897
- TAFT STIRS CAPITAL BY SUFFRAGE SPEECH - The New York Times, May 10th, 1909
- HOME RULE FOR THE DISTRICT! GRAND MASS-MEETING OF CITIZENS AT ODD-FELLOWS' HALL [The Washington Times, 1/20/1880]
- A Diagrammatic Photograph Showing The American Warship, The Delaware, Blowing Up New York City
- Randle Highlands VS Fort Dupont [Antique Overlay of an Anacostia Alternative Future]
- [FOUND MAP] The Masthead Map of the San Mateo Item Newspaper
- WANT 20,000 SIGNERS - The Washington Post, November 16th, 1894
- Squelched [A Sunday Comic from 1896]
- PRESIDENT OPPOSED TO SUFFRAGE IN DISTRICT - The Washington Post, May 9th, 1909
- Prof. Gregory Favors It - The Washington Post, July 10th, 1883
- Suffrage in the District - The Washington Post, January 24, 1880
- District Representation - The Washington Post, January 22, 1879
- Map of Westminster Street NW in Washington, DC from 1921
- La Grisette by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
- [FOUND MAP] Isola d'Elba aka the Island of Elba
- My own Coat of Arms, the Origin of the Stars & Stripes, and Hartburn, DC
- A Perpetual Calendar showing the day of any month corresponding to any day of the week, for the year 1775, to the year 2025
- What! A Bicycle Rifle? Yes?
- Nixon Sends GIs Into Cambodia And An Inverted 1970 Map of Communist Controlled Laos and Cambodia
- Thomas Jefferson's Map of Washington from March 31st, 1791
- An Act for establishing the Temporary and Permanent seat of the Government of the United States
- Text of the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871
- Text of the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1801
- Photograph of the ceiling inside of the Alhambra obtained from the Casselman Archive of Islamic and Mudejar Architecture in Spain
- Stereocard of the Great Hall in the Vatican Library
- In the December issue of QST Magazine
- Hallway view of the first edition of the New & Arabesque Map of the Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden
- Gloria Immortalis Labore Parta
- A New & Somewhat Accurate Map of the Tropic of Gemini and the Tropic of Sagittarius
- Tabvla Festorvm - Table of important Catholic dates from Opera Mathematica
- Gregorius XIII - Pont(ifex) Opt(imus) Maximus / Anno Restituto MDLXXXII
- The Vicissitude of the Seasons Explained
- The Use of the Analemma - As explained around 1780
- The Millbank Penitentiary, the Tate Britain, and the Panopticon
- Tabvla Temporis [Semidiurni in fignis Borealibus / Australibus]
- A New & Arabesque Map of the Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden
- Artomatic 2008 Opening Night
- Of (the Tartars) manners both good and bad (around 400 years ago)
- Then & Now Birds-Eye Views of the Westminster Neighborhood in Washington, DC [1884 & 2005]
- The Yu Ji Tu map  and a map of the distribution of Moslems in China  via Rev. Claude L. Pickens, Jr.'s trip to northwest China 
- ABSOLUT STATEHOOD
- Remedia Amoris / The Cure For Love by Ovid
- Hello Cherubs - A New Splash Page Graphic Added
- Antique Stained Glass Sundials
- Happy Nowruz !!
- ordered last week: New Blaeu
- Carte du Telegraphe Optique [dans l'hexagone]
- Oil Wells in Los Angeles 103 years ago [One Slick Overlay]
- The art of Map Fest by Teresa Mendez - The Christian Science Monitor
- Within Sight of the White House [Overlay of Hooker's Division]
- The Dissected Map ...continued
- Découvrir Carte Est Mort!
- Tycho Brahe's Armillary Spheres
- Holy See an Armillary Sphere?
- Found Celestial Cartography
- The Brandeis Brief
- An updated Armillary Sphere
- 1880 Street Railway Map of the City of Washington
- The Astro-Theological Overlays for Google Earth
- An Interactive Astrological Calendar from 1544 for Google Earth
- An Updated Astrological Calendar from 1544 - Eastern Hemisphere
- Socio Ditata Labore - Revisited
- NOVA ET ACCVRATISSIMA TOTIVS TERRARVM ORBIS TABVLA [2007 Remix]
- An Updated Astrological Calendar from 1544 - Western Hemisphere
- Geography & the Humanities Symposium Program Cover
- A New And Accurate Map of the World by John Speed [2007 Remix]
- America as a Cloverleaf
- A New Map of the Terraqueous Globe : according to the the Ancient discoveries and most general Divisions of Geospatial Art
- Society is Enriched by Labor :: Socio Ditata Labore
- The Modern Geographer