With Washington, DC about to begin the first bicycle sharing program in the United States, I’m posting some videos featuring the Parisian bike sharing service called Vélib’. The names in French is a combination of vélo liberté or vélo libre and in English it means free bicycle or bicycle freedom.
I think these YouTube videos are a fitting follow-up to my new bicycle freedom in Washington, DC :-)
Bikes Belong presents: Velib
Bikes sharing is transforming how cities look at public transit. We went to Paris in November 2007 to see for ourselves what Velib is all about.
[I really like the use of the infographics]
“In the morning, you can go to work in the tram and come home by bike; it depends on the weather, it depends on your mood and on your friends,” said Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoe Sunday.
Delanoe aims to cut car traffic in the city by 40 per cent by 2020.
I post more when I find them….
Related Bicycling Entries:
- 15th Street on YouTube || North Meets South || A Game of Locational Awareness [part 2]
- Squelched [A Sunday Comic from 1896]
- Photographs from Park(ing) Day DC 2009
- YouTube Video of an Arrest Last Night Outside of the 7-11 at 12th & U Street, NW, DC
- What! A Bicycle Rifle? Yes?
- YouTube Video of my bicycle ride through I-395's 3rd Street Tunnel after Barack Obama's Inauguration
- A Bike Above The Rest
- Video of "Dub Prices" by Hutchy
- My Weekend in Photos [8/22-8/24]
- Streetfilms comes to Washington, DC and checks out SmartBikeDC
- Locking a bicycle high up in a tree stymies short thieves, but damages trees
- Bicycle ride home from the 18th Street Lounge in time-lapse
- Streetfilms: "Summer Streets 2008" in New York City
- You Street on YouTube || East Meets West || A Game of Locational Awareness
- Video of "Gas Prices" by Hutchy
- An interview on a bicycle conducted while riding through Amsterdam
- Hipster : The Dead End of Western Civilization By Douglas Haddow
- Bicycle Freedom! [Vélib' in DC]
- DC Bicycle Registration Law to be Discontinued [Yeah!]
- Rush hour bicycle traffic congestion in Copenhagen, Denmark
- Streetfilms: Ciclovia in Bogota, Colombia
- Then & Now Birds-Eye Views of the Westminster Neighborhood in Washington, DC [1884 & 2005]
- GPS nabs another one...
There are a few issues with Velibâ€™
Comment by Mike Licht — 6/2/2008 @ 11:34 pm