Today I read the New York Times article American Antiwar Movement Plans an Autumn Campaign Against Policies on Afghanistan and noticed that Rethink Afghanistan was mentioned. Earlier this year, during Easter weekend, I was solicited by a friend who works with the organization to voluntarily dress up like the easter bunny and hand out easter eggs around Chinatown and the White House. The video above is the result of two days of volunteering and while I was saving the video for a blog entry next Easter*, I felt compelled to share it today.
…..4 months after this video was filmed……
- There are more soldiers going to Afghanistan today —-not less
- 51 percent of Americans now feel the war in Afghanistan is not worth fighting
- August 2009 was the bloodiest month since the war began
- Afghanistan is the graveyard of Empires
Obama campaigned on bringing the troops home, but he hasn’t done so, and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Imagine all the money that could be spent on free healthcare for all Americans that is currently being spent fighting unwinnable wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
* I also have about a dozen pictures of this action and another video of me trying not to get arrested by police officer in Chinatown. I plan on posting them in a future entry…