I’ve started working on a series for next month’s exhibition in Philadelphia. I’m not sure what final scope of the project will end up being, but I’m enjoying the act of making new maps again.
The first in this series is based off of the similarly pattered “eye” series that I used in locations like Kansas City, Missouri and Erie, Pennsylvania. The imagery used in this project is based off of two type of aerial photography from the USGS. This map employs the .75m per pixel spatial resolution that was published in 2004. You can read the metadata here.
While there is newer 2006 imagery at .15m per pixel, there has not been subsequent imagery added to the USGS servers since I made my first generation maps of this city. I found and requested newer imagery from the city of Philadelphia, but was met with no answer upon two e-mails. Therefore I had to follow-up with the older imagery that is slightly out-dated, but just as useful for what I am working on.
I chose .75m resolution imagery for the oblique nature of the imagery. This allows the viewer to see the sides of buildings they would otherwise not see if the photograph was taken directly above; which is the case with most orthorectified imagery. I’m please with the results and look forward to printing it out.
View the Google Map of Philadelphia.
View the rest of the details:
Related Pennsylvania Entries:
- Four artists at Gershman Y – Philadelphia Inquirer
- Charted Territory: Robin Rice on “Mapping: Outside/Inside” at Gershman Y – Philadelphia City Paper
- Photos from the Opening of “Mapping:Outside/Inside” at the Gershman Y
- The Gershman Y Quilt #3D
- The Gershman Y Quilt #3C
- The Gershman Y Quilt #3B
- The Gershman Y Quilt #3A
- The Gershman Y Quilt #2
- The Gershman Y Quilt
- The Eye of Philadelphia
- [UPCOMING EXHIBITION] Mapping: Outside/Inside in the Borowsky Gallery at the Gershman Y
- A Gigapan of Erie Coke Corporation Eye
- Erie Coke Corporation Eye
- Erie Coke Corporation Quilt
- The Mad Decent Block Party Video
- Comparative Front Pages: Washington Post / Philadelphia Inquirer
- 2008 Urban America Calendar
- Philly Mandala #2
- Pittsburgh Quilt #3
- Pittsburgh Quilt #2
- Pittsburgh Quilt
- Philly Mandala
- Philly Quilt #2
- Philly Quilt