I was able to snag this video from the Newschannel 8 website and upload to YouTube. I know its not quite legal, but neither is being denied representation in Congress.
Below is the text of the article:
With 7,000 red signs posted across the city, District’s shadow senator Michael Brown is demanding statehood for the District – a much more aggressive approach to the voting rights issue. He says the signs are targeting Inauguration crowds and television coverage.
Brown called the D.C. voting rights issue a national disgrace. “You have a president who told Sen. Strauss and I personally that he believes in statehood. :09 You have a majority in both houses of Congress so if you’re not going to push for it now, when are you going to push for it?”
He and other members of the District’s congressional delegation have blanketed the city with the posters. They are calling not just for a vote in the house, but for statehood with one representative, two senators and full independence from Congress.
“It’s the simplest path for us to take. It takes a simple majority vote in Congress to make a state,” said Brown. Many Washingtonians agree with Brown. “This is the perfect time since Obama’s in office that we should be very aggressive pushing for full statehood for D.C.,” said resident Andre Vaughn.
Others think the District should take one step at a time. “I think Eleanor has to get the vote on the floor first. It gives her a little muscle and some leverage and then you go for statehood,” said resident Henry Corbel.
Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton and Mayor Fenty tend to take the latter, more pragmatic approach, focusing first and foremost on Norton’s vote in the House. It’s an approach apparently supported by President-elect Obama.
Brown says he supports a vote in the House, but he says that is not enough. He’s worried the momentum for the voting rights movement is running out. “We have the ball on the one yard line. It’s third down and we’re down by 21 points. No time to kick a field goal. There’s only 3 minutes left in the game. Time to run the ball,” said Brown.
In an interview with Politico, Fenty makes clear he also wants statehood for the District. He calls it “the premiere D.C. issue.” In terms of President-elect Obama’s support, Fenty says “I expect Obama to get behind a pragmatic, but aggressive advancement of voting rights. I think anyone who tells you they know what that would be would be lying. I think the minimum people are hoping for is for a full voting member of the House, but beyond that, it’s just a matter of how far you can go.”
Related Statehood Entries:
- DC Flag Day in the Flesh
- Subcommittee on Health Care, District of Columbia, Census and the National Archives: Hearing on the District of Columbia's Fiscal Year 2012 Budget: "Ensuring Fiscal Sustainability"
- YouTube Video of Congressman Serrano speaking on the House floor about the need for Congress to respect DC
- My Testimony on the Renaming Parts of Pennsylvania Ave and the Gateway Signs of the District of Columbia
- A LETTER FROM DISCOVER CARD FOR THE STATE OF DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA RESIDENTS
- Dear Google, there is no such location as "Washington, D.C., DC"
- TONIGHT: An Evening of Education and Entertainment in Support of DC Statehood at the U.S. Capitol
- THE STATE OF COLUMBIA by Frank Sprigg Perry - Georgetown Law Journal, Vol 9, No. 3, April, 1921, p. 13-27
- A New Strategy For Full Representation in Congress: Have the District of Columbia Government Sue State Legislatures
- 52 cents in change // 52 centavos en cambio
- 51 cents in change
- S280 - A Bill To Repeal an Act Entitled ''An Act to Retrocede the County of Alexandria, in the District of Columbia, to the State of Virginia" - United States Senate, April 23, 1866
- “Representation, Reforestation” Was Selected For The DC Urban Forest Project
- VOTE PLEA TO CONGRESS - Americanize 400,000, Urges D.C. Joint Citizens' Committee - The Washington Post, February 13, 1918
- Second Class Citizen: A Shirt of Shame
- ALEXANDRIA AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA - The Alexandria Gazette, June 9, 1909
- Justice Stafford Eloquent on Washington: Past, Present, and Future - The Washington Herald, May 9th, 1909
- The Webpage For The City Council Of The District of Columbia's "Special Committee on Statehood and Self-Determination" Is Now On-Line
- Anxious To Come Back - The Washington Post, July 24, 1890
- Photograph of when an innocent card game made me feel sad
- The DC Colonist is now officially stock photo
- My Response To Today's Washington Post Letter To The Editor By Ann Wass
- The D.C. Colonist Is The Subject Of A Letter To The Editor In Today's Washington Post
- The D.C. Colonist is featured today's The Reliable Source column in the Style Section of the Washington Post
- WANT 20,000 SIGNERS - The Washington Post, November 16th, 1894
- The D.C. Statehood Vote - The Washington Post, November 20th, 1993
- Tax Fairness for D.C. - The New York Times, October 30th, 1993
- D.C. Statehood - The Washington Post, January 13th, 1993
- Statehood for the District of Columbia - The Boston Globe, December 2nd, 1992
- The State of Misgovernment - The New York Times, July 21st, 1992
- Grant D.C. Residents Full Rights - The Oregonian, April 15th, 1992
- The D.C. Plantation: Freedom Soon? - The New York Times, November 25th, 1991
- Free the Government's Plantation - The New York Times, October 6th, 1991
- Statehood for the District of Columbia - The Minneapolis Star and Tribune, June 27th, 1987
- Why Not Statehood for D.C. Citizens? - Seattle Times, May 11th, 1987
- PRESIDENT OPPOSED TO SUFFRAGE IN DISTRICT - The Washington Post, May 9th, 1909
- Prof. Gregory Favors It - The Washington Post, July 10th, 1883
- Suffrage in the District - The Washington Post, January 24, 1880
- District Representation - The Washington Post, January 22, 1879
- [Washington Times] CITIZEN JOURNALISM: D.C. Voters Eye 51st-State Status By Ann Loikow
- A message to MTV's Real World DC cast members: IN THE REAL WORLD ALL AMERICANS DESERVE FULL REPRESENTATION IN CONGRESS
- Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton & Senator Joe Lieberman introduce a D.C. Statehood Bill
- Thomas Jefferson's Map of Washington from March 31st, 1791
- Text of H.R. 259 - An act to retrocede the county of Alexandria, in the District of Columbia, to the State of Virginia
- YouTube video of DC Colonists demonstrating at the first Nationals game at RFK Stadium
- The 23rd Amendment - Time Magazine - March 31, 1961
- The D.C. Colonist receives a warm welcome from Senator Joe Lieberman at today's Business Meeting of the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Hey Google & YouTube, those are not my Senators! I have no Senators!
- Hey Google & YouTube, that is not my Representative or Delegate!
- Washington Post Video of last night's Statehood Forum
- Indirectly mentioned in today's Washington Post
- Welcome to DC, we have no vote, we have no voice.
- YouTube Video of Newschannel 8's coverage of the "YES WE CAN - DC STATEHOOD NOW" poster
- Plagiarizing the official Inaugural Map to include a political message
- [FOUND MAP] New York City: The 51st State
- The American Flag in a 51 Star Configuration with One Star Removed
- DC.gov website confuses Statehood with Voting Rights & Representation
- What D.C. Statehood Would Mean To Black America - Ebony, October, 1990
- The Organization For Security And Cooperation In Europe Continues To Press The US Goverment on Full Congressional Representation for D.C. Residents
- The Dr. Bill Show!
- DC Residents say they want full democracy, like New Delhi.
- SloMo the Statehood Snail visits Swampoodle
- Germany's Green Party opens chapter in Washington, DC
- ABSOLUT STATEHOOD
- The maps on Google Analytics suffer from Washington, DC's exclusion
- My vote verified by a paper ballot
- Roll Call's Photo of the Week features the DC Colonist
- D.C. Voting Rights March...
- OSCE Finds US Government Violates Human Rights
- Tom Davis Supports Statehood?
- THE GEOCOLONIAL SLOTS - Match 3 for Statehood!
- Here Be Dragons by David Montgomery
- Censored today in theMail...
- Third of representation a start, but not enough
- The #2 Political Party in Washington, DC
- The New DC License Plate.. if H.R. 5388 passes
- Dennis Hastert's Office 3 Years ago... yesterday
- The DC Colonist is in a Scripts Howard wire report
- Tea Time...
- Taxation Without Representation Google Map
- Meet SloMo the Statehood Snail
- 2 Tone Stencils of Washington, DC
- Maps of where DC residents voted Statehood Green
- Censorship on the 4th of July
- We've got the support-
- The first DC Democracy Naval Battle
- Liberté, égalité, fraternité - OSCE
- DC Colonists video clip
- The D.C. Colonist makes his baseball debut!
- DCist Covers the Colonist
- The Colonist in the Post
- a Great B.A.D. Day
- B.A.D. Day is tomorrow
- B.A.D. Day Call to Action!