click the image above to view my latest installment in the Lost Series
Building off the exploration of redaction in “The U.S. Capitol is Off-Limits to the Public,” this interactive environment randomly shows 18 aerial photographs around the redacted perimeter of the White House. The images are 50% redacted and 50% unmodified. I did not edit the images in any way. You can thank the Secret Service!
Unlike the 2002 imagery, which featured only a redacted rooftop of the White House alongside a redacted Old Executive Office Building and Treasury Department building, the 2005 imagery of Washington, DC has the entire area around the White House completely redacted: 15th Street on the East, 17th Street on the West, H street on the North, and the closed off road above the Ellipse in the South.
Unfairly included in this redaction is the park to the north of the White House called Lafayette Park (officially President’s Park, but no one calls it that). It is administered by the National Park Police (I’ve had to deal with them many times when having demonstrations outside of the White House), and with this redaction, I believe it is the first and only National Park to be completely redacted.
Here is the perimeter of redaction:
The background of the page is the redacted White House.
Related Censorship Entries:
- Mentioned Today On The Huffington Post Concerning Facebook's Censorship of Advertisements Related To Cannabis
- Washington Monument Quilt #2
- Dear WashingtonPost.com: Either You Are Censoring Bloggers Or Your 3rd Party Widget Isn't Working Properly
- Where did Google's video rankings go?
- Google FINALLY updates the imagery of Washington, DC and now you can kinda see the message on my rooftop
- An Odd DC Indymedia Edit
- Google Street View of Washington, DC suffers from out-dated imagery
- View of a House Party Censored By Colored Dots
- Interviews with Alex Jones at the DNC in Denver and other videos
- One year later and Google Maps has still not updated DC
- First Amendment Violation in Lafayette Park yesterday; ACLU contacted
- Experimenting with Facebook's advertisement system [part 4 - Fvck Censorship]
- What the Artomatic 2008 venue looked like in March of 2005
- Geovisual QR Code
- The first Artomatic prints have arrived
- White House Peace
- Indirectly referenced in the Sydney Morning News?
- MyGoogleMaps : Google's Censorship Perimeter
- 3D Buildings at the expense of newer imagery?
- Google's View of D.C. Melds New and Sharp, Old and Fuzzy - Washington Post
- A new change in Washington, DC's imagery on Google's servers
- Comparative Meta-Data of the USGS Orthoimagery of Washington, DC - 2002 / 2005
- The White House is Off-Limits to the Public: An Exploration of Censorship's Perimeter
- The U.S. Capitol is Off-Limits to the Public: An Exploration of Censorship's Perimeter
- Censored today in theMail...
- Baghdad Imagery change in Google Earth
- I'm off google
- Redacted Flag
- Censorship on the 4th of July
- U.S. Naval Observatory Lenz #2
- U.S. Naval Observatory Lenz
- The Inaugural Map & January 6th