After meeting the reporter on Friday, he didn’t seem too informed about the DC voting rights issue and his article for the Examiner shows this. However, the Examiner is the only media outlet who covered our DC Democracy Naval lobbying effort.
Fulfilling the democratic promise
Activists of District’s equal representation rally for OSCE resolution
BY NICK HOOVER
Special to The Examiner
Published: Sunday, July 3, 2005 9:22 PM EDT
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe has monitored elections from the Balkans to the former Soviet republics, and now they’ve come to Washington partially to consider a resolution that urges the United States to give District residents equal voting rights in Congress.
Although Eleanor Holmes Norton, D, represents Washington on the floor of the House of Representatives, the District hasn’t had voting representation in more than 200 years.
“Getting international support would be phenomenal for our voting rights,” said Wanda Lockridge, chairperson of the D.C. Democratic State Committee.
The 55-nation group, which aims to maintain human rights and political security “from Vancouver to Vladivostok,” will vote Tuesday on the resolution, which drew overwhelming support in committee.
Hoping for a ‘yes’ vote
On Friday, activists and civic leaders rallied outside the J.W. Marriott Hotel, where the organization was meeting, in hopes of influencing a yes vote.
Norton wrote the OSCE resolution and also spoke at the rally, referring to “long-suffering Washington” and telling protesters that “the eyes of the world will finally be focused on you, not official Washington” when the vote comes to the table on Tuesday morning.
“As Americans are celebrating the Declaration of Independence, we are asking people to remember that [the democratic] promise has not been fulfilled for Washingtonians,” said Ilir Zherka, executive director of voting rights advocacy group DC Vote.
Recent notice in Congress
The capital’s lack of voting representation has also gotten some recent notice in Congress. A bipartisan bill written by Rep. Tom Davis, R.-Va., would add two more representatives to the House, one from the District and another from Utah.
But Sen. Paul Strauss, D-D.C., the elected but non-voting shadow senator for the District who is also unable to speak on the floor, said one representative isn’t enough.
“We need equal rights,” Strauss said. “Without two senators, we can’t represent the District in a meaningful way.”
Strauss and supporters continued their activism Saturday, setting sail in a boat decked out with banners reading “OSCE: HELP FREE DC” to follow delegates and staff from the international organization as they toured the Potomac River.
Related Colonist Entries:
- DC Colonist Cartoon: “Court Declares State Voters Tax Exempt in D.C.” – Washington Evening Star, March 13, 1940
- DC Colonist Cartoon: “Keep Out of U.S. Elections” – Washington Star, November 5, 1940
- DC Colonist Cartoon: “Disenfranchisement" – Washington Star, November 4th, 1930
- Subcommittee on Health Care, District of Columbia, Census and the National Archives: Hearing on the District of Columbia's Fiscal Year 2012 Budget: "Ensuring Fiscal Sustainability"
- DC Colonist Cartoon: "Election Day" - Washington Star, November 4th, 1924
- Feature in today's Weekend Pass Section of the Washington Post's Express Newspaper: "Geo-Beautiful"
- YouTube Video Showing Where George Washington Grew Hemp at Mount Vernon
- 52 cents in change // 52 centavos en cambio
- 51 cents in change
- Photos from Emancipation Day 2010 by Elvert Barnes
- TO MAKE A STATE OF DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA - The New York Times, December 14, 1902
- Comments by Thomas Tredwell at the New York Ratifying Convention on July 2nd, 1788
- “Representation, Reforestation” Was Selected For The DC Urban Forest Project
- Second Class Citizen: A Shirt of Shame
- My Urban Forest Project Submission: "Representation, Reforestation"
- Justice Stafford Eloquent on Washington: Past, Present, and Future - The Washington Herald, May 9th, 1909
- Photograph of when an innocent card game made me feel sad
- The DC Colonist is now officially stock photo
- Pat Buchanan Prefers To Be A Colonist. I Do Not. [YouTube Video Clip of MSNBC's Morning Joe Show]
- My Response To Today's Washington Post Letter To The Editor By Ann Wass
- The D.C. Colonist Is The Subject Of A Letter To The Editor In Today's Washington Post
- The D.C. Colonist is featured today's The Reliable Source column in the Style Section of the Washington Post
- WAMU Coverage of the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on the Federal Workforce, Postal Service and the District of Columbia hearing titled "Greater Autonomy for the Nation's Capitol"
- TAFT STIRS CAPITAL BY SUFFRAGE SPEECH - The New York Times, May 10th, 1909
- The D.C. Statehood Vote - The Washington Post, November 20th, 1993
- Tax Fairness for D.C. - The New York Times, October 30th, 1993
- D.C. Statehood - The Washington Post, January 13th, 1993
- Statehood for the District of Columbia - The Boston Globe, December 2nd, 1992
- The State of Misgovernment - The New York Times, July 21st, 1992
- Grant D.C. Residents Full Rights - The Oregonian, April 15th, 1992
- The D.C. Plantation: Freedom Soon? - The New York Times, November 25th, 1991
- Free the Government's Plantation - The New York Times, October 6th, 1991
- Statehood for the District of Columbia - The Minneapolis Star and Tribune, June 27th, 1987
- Why Not Statehood for D.C. Citizens? - Seattle Times, May 11th, 1987
- [Washington Times] CITIZEN JOURNALISM: D.C. Voters Eye 51st-State Status By Ann Loikow
- The sign I posted outside of MTV's Real World DC house is transcribed in today's Washington Post
- A message to MTV's Real World DC cast members: IN THE REAL WORLD ALL AMERICANS DESERVE FULL REPRESENTATION IN CONGRESS
- Happy 4th of July, but remember...
- Obama can't criticize Chavez on at least one issue
- Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton & Senator Joe Lieberman introduce a D.C. Statehood Bill
- What! A Bicycle Rifle? Yes?
- Thomas Jefferson's Map of Washington from March 31st, 1791
- Text of H.R. 259 - An act to retrocede the county of Alexandria, in the District of Columbia, to the State of Virginia
- YouTube video of DC Colonists demonstrating at the first Nationals game at RFK Stadium
- "Let Us Now End American Colonialism" - A speech by Ernest Gruening delivered to the Delegates of the Alaska Constitutional Convention on November 9, 1955
- The 23rd Amendment - Time Magazine - March 31, 1961
- The D.C. Colonist receives a warm welcome from Senator Joe Lieberman at today's Business Meeting of the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
- Hey Google & YouTube, those are not my Senators! I have no Senators!
- Hey Google & YouTube, that is not my Representative or Delegate!
- Washington Post Video of last night's Statehood Forum
- Indirectly mentioned in today's Washington Post
- YouTube Video featuring the 6pm News Coverage Mashup of the 2009 DC House Voting Rights Act
- Interviewed on MSNBC this morning
- Welcome to DC, we have no vote, we have no voice.
- YouTube Video of Newschannel 8's coverage of the "YES WE CAN - DC STATEHOOD NOW" poster
- Plagiarizing the official Inaugural Map to include a political message
- Yes We Can - DC Statehood Now!
- [FOUND MAP] New York City: The 51st State
- The American Flag in a 51 Star Configuration with One Star Removed
- My DC license plate redesign was discussed today on the WAMU's The Kojo Nnamdi Show
- DC.gov website confuses Statehood with Voting Rights & Representation
- What D.C. Statehood Would Mean To Black America - Ebony, October, 1990
- One Third Representation Flyer Posted Outside of Busboys & Poets
- The Organization For Security And Cooperation In Europe Continues To Press The US Goverment on Full Congressional Representation for D.C. Residents
- Quart Bag: A Community Art Show at the Civilian Art Projects
- The Dr. Bill Show!
- DC Residents say they want full democracy, like New Delhi.
- Experimenting with Facebook's advertisement system [part 3 - Twenty Phantom Women]
- ABSOLUT STATEHOOD
- The maps on Google Analytics suffer from Washington, DC's exclusion
- Google Charts API now includes small maps, but leaves out Washington, DC.
- Roll Call's Photo of the Week features the DC Colonist
- Voting Rights March Recap
- D.C. Voting Rights March...
- Fun with MyGoogleMaps...
- OSCE Finds US Government Violates Human Rights
- The U.S. Capitol is Off-Limits to the Public: An Exploration of Censorship's Perimeter
- Tom Davis Supports Statehood?
- THE GEOCOLONIAL SLOTS - Match 3 for Statehood!
- Interactive Inequality #3
- Interactive Inequality #2
- Interactive Inequality
- Lost in America's Last Colony
- Censored today in theMail...
- The New DC Flag...if HR 328 passes...
- Take 1/3 of a day off work for 1/3 Representation
- Third of representation a start, but not enough
- The New DC License Plate.. if H.R. 5388 passes
- Dennis Hastert's Office 3 Years ago... yesterday
- Is the DC Colonist a Netscape Celebrity?
- Salt Lake Tribune covers the D.C. Colonist
- ABC 7 Covers the D.C. Colonist...
- The DC Colonist is in a Scripts Howard wire report
- Taxation Without Representation Google Map
- I am featured in the Green Party's "Green Pages"
- I am mentioned in the Northwest Current
- International Body Backs Vote for D.C.
- OSCE Parliamentary Assembly adopts Washington Declaration
- Censorship on the 4th of July
- Examiner Coverage of our OSCE Maritime Lobbying Effort
- We've got the support-
- The first DC Democracy Naval Battle
- Out of Committee
- Liberté, égalité, fraternité - OSCE
- Sway with me
- OSCE Rally Friday!
- DC City Council Passes OSCE Resolution
- DC Colonists video clip
- The D.C. Colonist makes his baseball debut!
- DCist Covers the Colonist
- DC Colonists - Flyer & Press Release
- The D.C. Colonist in the Washington Post
- The Colonist in the Post
- Congress Passes District's Budget
- It's Official....
- a Great B.A.D. Day
- B.A.D. Day Schedule
- B.A.D. Day is tomorrow
- B.A.D. Day Call to Action!
- its starting to get B.A.D.